St. Michael’s Catholic School is a co-educational Catholic school within the Local Education Authority of Sunderland and within the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle. We are part of the Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust. The age range of children is between 4 and 11 years.
Aims of St. Michael’s School
As teachers we aim to develop our pupils as fully as possible. In many of these areas we will be working hand in hand with you as parents in educating responsible citizens for the future.
We aim to:
- Educate our children in the Catholic Faith, to encourage them to become active members of the Catholic Church and community both now and in the future.
- Deliver a broad, balanced, stimulating and challenging curriculum which encourages the children to achieve their full potential.
- Provide for equal opportunity and treatment in cross-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Help the children to acquire knowledge and skills and to apply them with understanding both collaboratively and independently.
- Encourage an appreciation of human achievement in the arts, humanities and sciences and to help the children develop their own particular talents and skills accordingly.
- Assist the children in developing an understanding, appreciation and respect for our own and other environments and to form a reasoned set of attitudes, values and beliefs towards environmental and economic issues.
- Encourage the development of a positive attitude towards self and others, work and leisure.
- Help the children to develop respect, tolerance and understanding of other cultural and religious beliefs.
Infants 4 – 7 years Morning 8.50am – 11.50am Afternoon 12.45pm – 3.10pm
Juniors 7 – 11 years Morning 8.50am – 12.00noon Afternoon 12.45pm – 3.15pm
All pupils have a break of fifteen minutes in the mornings .
Registration is at 9.00am for all pupils and this is followed by our collective act of worship, or morning prayers.
Children should not be unsupervised on school premises before 8.50am or after 3.25pm. If for any reason there is an occasion when your child needs to be in school outside of these times, then please contact the Headteacher so that special arrangements can be made to ensure the safety of your child.